Welcome to the Freshman Year Residential Experience Program at the University of Houston!
There have been some material changes to what you might know as the FYRE program (we think for the better).
In the past, FYRE was a particular living community and all resources and programs provided were for the students who had signed up to live on those particular floors. In the past there has also been an application process to gain admittance to this program.
Now, the FYRE program is for all incoming First Year students who will be living on campus. The FYRE program is an umbrella for what we hope will become a full suite of specific programs and living options for First Year Students. For now, we are in transition-hiring a new Program Coordinator for the program, redeveloping our structure, re-creating the summer program, and building new partnerships across campus.
Many students have called or emailed to inquire about how to apply to FYRE, the summer program, living options, and a host of other questions. Below is an FAQ we hope will help. Since we are in the process of rebuilding the program we will update them frequently.
1. How do I apply for FYRE? There is no longer an application for FYRE. FYRE is for all First Year students who live on campus. The programs we plan for the fall and spring semester will be for all FY students.
2. Where is the FYRE program? The offices for the FYRE program are located in the ground floor of Moody Towers, Suite 15.
3. Where do students who participate in FYRE live? The students who participate in FYRE are First Year students. Thus, they mainly live in Moody Towers and Cougar Village.
4. How will we find out about programs in the fall? We will advertise in the halls, send out emails, post on our Facebook, and Tweet information in addition to providing information at check in.
5. How do we reach FYRE? We can be contacted at: FYRE@uh.edu, www.facebook.com/fyre.uh, or @UHFYRE on Twitter.
6. Is there a living option for FYRE this year? Yes, there is a small theme community geared toward first generation college students on floors 2 and 3 of North Tower. If you are interested in living there you can contact the housing office at 713.743.6000.
7. Who runs the FYRE program? We are in the process of hiring a new Program Coordinator for First and Second Year programs. This person will directly coordinate the FYRE program. The Program Coordinator is supervised by Lin Crowson, Assistant Director for Leadership and Learning.
8. Will there by a Backstage PASS? There will not be a BSP in the form that it existed in the past. In the future, we do anticipate an early check in/advance arrival program. Due to the upheaval and turnover, we will not have an early program this summer. However, we will have a full schedule of programs this fall to address common issues First Year students experience.
The Department of Residential Life and Housing has embraced the central goals and purposes of the international movement dedicated to improving the first year of college for students.
The Freshman Year Residential Experience (FYRE) Program is a unique living option designed for incoming freshmen. Students inhabit a living-learning environment specifically designed to meet the needs of first year students. Participants have increased access to faculty and staff involvement, programs relating to transitional issues, involvement in community service and a peer mentor program.
Please feel free to browse our website to learn more about what the FYRE program has to offer. We hope that you will choose to be a part of this great program!